For Tegaderm/ Saniderm:
Leave your bandage on for 24 hours. You may take it off early or leave it on a bit longer if the 24 hours is not convenient for you. You will notice a build up of liquid (plasma) under the bandage, this is completely normal and natural. Leave it alone.
When you go to take the bandage off, it is best to do so under running water. Slowly peel it away from your skin as the water runs over top of it. Once the bandage has been removed, wash your new tattoo with an unscented antibacterial liquid soap. Blot it dry with paper towel and apply a small amount of unscented lotion. Make sure the lotion is well absorbed in the skin. You want to keep your tattoo on the dry side as it’s healing. Repeat this washing method 3 times a day for about a week.
For Bandage/ Saran Wrap:
Leave this bandage on for 1 hour. Once the bandage has been removed, wash your new tattoo with an unscented antibacterial liquid soap. Run cold water over the tattoo to close up the pores. Blot it dry with paper towel and apply a small amount of unscented lotion. Make sure the lotion is well absorbed in the skin. You want to keep your tattoo on the dry side as it’s healing. Repeat this washing method 3 times a day for about a week. With this method, it is very important to keep your tattoo dry. Keep blotting it if you see or feel plasma sitting on the surface of your skin.
If you find that the area is swollen and hot, using an ice pack can help relieve some discomfort.
Things to avoid:
- Do not soak your new tattoo in a bath or shower for too long. You will also want to avoid pools, hot tubs, lakes, and oceans for 6-8 weeks.
- Try not to let your tattoo scab. If it does get thick in areas, avoid lotion, continue washing 3 times a day, and start using polysporin original cream (do not use any other types of polysporin)
- Do not tan or burn the skin. If you are out in the sun, use spf 60 or higher once your tattoo is completely healed. This will help keep the colours bright and the shades dark.
- Do not pick or scratch at your tattoo.
- Avoid anything tight fitted or that would be abrasive.
- Avoid scented soaps, perfumes, and colognes.
- Avoid the gym for a few days after. Your sweat is not good for a fresh tattoo.
- Do not re-bandage your tattoo with Saran Wrap, or anything like it.
- If you wash your laundry with scent boosters, try not to let the clothing sit on your fresh tattoo. The scent boosters can irritate.
- Soft soap
- Vaseline brand lotion
- Polysporin original cream